9/10/2014

Motivation for Writers

Writing full-time is a dream come true. I try to make sure I never take this blessing for granted, but let's face it. Some days are harder than others. I have those days when it's been one thing after another and my son just won't go to bed and I've been running around for the past ten hours. The last thing I want to do on those days when I finally get five minutes of time to myself is to sit down and write. Those are the days when writing feels like work, and I know that if I don't find some kind of extra motivation, there will be no words.

And my goal is "no zero days". I believe that the most successful authors sit their butts down in the chair every single day and write. This is something I struggle with. I have always been more of a "binge" writer. My favorite thing is going to a hotel or the beach for the weekend and staying up all night writing nonstop. It's so much fun, and I get to really immerse myself in the story for a little while. And there's nothing wrong with binge writing. It's a great way to catch up before a deadline.

On the other hand, it's extremely valuable to practice daily writing. Even 1,000 words a day still adds up to 365,000 words a year! That's amazing to think about. 1,000 words a day is do-able, right?

But like I said, some days are harder than others. Some days 5,000 words flows like water. Some days, getting 50 words feels like pulling teeth. So what can you do?

Find the things that motivate you and
use them as a reward. 

My Sweetie Store

If you've been following me for a while, you've already heard about my "Sweetie Store". This is something my husband came up with to motivate me to write every day. Here's how it works:

  1. Buy items I want and put them into the store. This can be anything from pens to Hello Kitty stickers. I have dollar store items in there, as well as expensive designer bracelets. The only thing that matters here is that you have to put things in the store that you want so badly, you are willing to work for it. If you aren't into stickers and physical things, experiment with other rewards. Massages? Movie rentals? A tattoo? Whatever works! My advice, too, is to include a mix of big items and small ones. We are beings who love instant gratification, so it won't be as motivational if you have to work for six months just to afford your rewards.
  2. Assign a points value to the items. Our system is generally 1,000 points = $1. If I have a $5.00 item, I have to earn 5,000 "sweetie points" to buy it from the store.
  3. Earn points by writing. We used to do a 1=1 system where 1 word was equal to 1 point. Over the past few years, we have revamped the system to accommodate different needs.For a while, we had a system that rewarded me with double points any time I hit 5,000 words in a day. This system rewarded "binge" writing, though, so we recently updated it again. Now, the system rewards writing at least 500 words a day, every day. Do what works for you! 
It's that easy, and it works! If you don't have the money to buy the items first, cut out a picture of the item you want and buy it after you've earned the reward. Even a Starbucks coffee can be a reward if it motivates you! And most of the time, the more you write, the more money you have the potential to earn.

Here's a pic of some of the items in my Sweetie Store that have me working particularly hard right now! 

Hello Kitty Mystery Mini's. These were $6 each and the fact that I don't know for sure what's in each box is killing me!

I am really dying to get the zombie kitty or the witch!!! I can't wait to open these!


Hello Kitty wrap bracelet. This was an exclusive item on the Sanrio website, made by designer Chan Luu, using Swarovski crystals. I don't even want to say how much it cost, haha. Let's just say it's going to take a few books to earn this one!

I also wanted to mention a couple other strategies and tools I use to stay motivated. One is a vision board. Every few months I make a brand new one that is in line with my current goals. It helps me to be very conscious of my goals and to take the time to match them with images that speak to me. I love being able to see that vision board every time I walk into my office. It keeps me focused.

My Vision Board

Setting up your office space with images or items that motivate and inspire is also a great way to fuel your writing fire. I have a couple different writing spaces in my house. My main office is shared with my husband and has my double-screens and all my files and pens and such. I decorated the wall above my monitors with things I love or that inspire me like NaNo WriMo and Hello Kitty and a poster of my favorite game and my favorite show of all time.

My main office. Ignore the mess on my desk, haha.
I recently created a new writing space in one of the closets in our house. I love how this little space feels like a little cocoon. I can focus and be quiet and not be distracted by the rest of the world. No internet allowed! There's a third quiet space in my bedroom, but I find I use this mostly for plotting or reading only. It's important to have even one small space to call your own where you can feel inspired.

My beautiful new Filofax!


Finally, I purchased a Filofax! OMG, I am so in love with this planner. I bought a Filofax Classic in patent purple leather, but any planner will work. My husband thinks I'm crazy because I could easily keep track of my calendar and to-do lists and everything else digitally, but what can I say? I am addicted to office supplies. I love pens and post-its and stickers and pretty papers. I can't help it! My new Filofax planner has been a wonderful tool so far, allowing me to keep all my thoughts and lists and word counts and points in one spot. Seeing my goals written down is a huge motivator. Plus, I find that I like to think through my plots while I'm decorating my pages with cute washi tapes and stickers. Crazy? Perhaps. But most of us are crazy, right?

Staying motivated is essential in this day and age. With all the noise that's out there (Facebook groups and forums and twitter and blogs), it's hard to stay focused on the one thing that really matters most for our success as writers. WRITING.

What are some ways you motivate your own writing? What tools do you use to motivate yourself to sit down and squeeze out 500 words, even on those days when you don't feel like it?



2 comments:

  1. OMG, those Monster Minis are adorable!! I haven't seen those around here yet. :)

    Motivation is also something that I've been struggling with as well. And it doesn't help that I've been getting too caught up in the marketing and networking side of things lately.

    I recently watched Author's Anonymous on Netflix, and one quote from that movie has really struck a chord with me. "The writing has to come first." I know I can't put writing above my family commitments, but I'm learning to put it above all the other 'stuff' a writer has to do, and figuring how to do that has been the hardest part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those Monster Minis were on the Sanrio site last year for about 2 days before they sold out and I missed them! This year, the second I saw them, I had to have them, haha. I can't wait to see which ones I got, but it's going to take a LOT of writing to earn them.

      That is a great quote about writing. There's really nothing more important than the books. I know authors who do tons of marketing and are always chasing sales, but to be honest, the authors I know who are just consistently getting books out there are the one who are most successful - even if they do almost zero marketing.

      Delete